Bombshell review: An arm, a leg, and entirely too much of your time

Don't get too excited by the look of this boss. You just shoot it a lot.

In Bombshell, the new isometric shooter from Interceptor Entertainment and 3D Realms, there is a shield. I know this with 100 percent certainty because for the last third of my playthrough, every step, action, and breath I took was punctuated by a robotic voice intoning "shield activated."

That’s not because I was spamming my character's comically overpowered bubble shield (though I did plenty of that), but it resulted from what I assume was a bug. I say "assume" because I'm not entirely sure that Bombshell hadn't grown sentient and developed just a bit of malice towards me. The game seems sapient enough to at least realize what a repetitive drag it had been up to that point, so maybe it turned its newborn ability to think and feel entirely towards mocking my efforts to find the fastest path to the credits.

Bombshell isn't an aggressively terrible game. It's just aggressively mediocre for long enough that it starts to seem that way.

Read 17 remaining paragraphs | Comments



from Opposable Thumbs – Ars Technica http://ift.tt/1P2tm7M
via IFTTT

No comments

Techs Insider ©. Powered by Blogger.